Friday 2 August 2013

Shutterbuggin'

I am so lucky to be surrounded by creative, community minded people. At the start of this year I launched what I thought was going to be a 'small community photography project'. It is not small. 

Shutterbugs '13 works like this: each month I nominate a date on which the Shutterbugs (located all over the world) are to take a photo. The photo can be of absolutely anything, providing it is legal. They then email their photo to me and I share it in an album on Facebook. 

So many things about this project have completely amazed and astounded me. Over 130 people are willingly involved and I receive about 80 photos each month. The quality of the photographs is outstanding. There are three professional photographers participating in Shutterbugs, but if you looked at the photos you would think there were many more. There is an amazing sense of community that continues to grow and grow. When I post the album each month, Shutterbugs go to town, commenting on and 'liking' each others photos. My favourite story involves two Shutterbugs who met (for the first time) at a function and when they each realised that the other was involved in the project, they started talking like old friends. One even confessed after the fact, to feeling like she was part of a secret society and wishing that she had some sort of handshake known only to the Shutterbugs! 

The thing I love most about Shutterbugs is not the photos, but rather, it is the communion of a complete group of strangers who share a common interest and come together once a month to be a part of something really special.


There's a thousand other things I could rave on about, like mindfulness and the uncanny appearance of distinctive themes (even though none are ever set) but that's another post for another time. 

For now, I just wanted to say thanks to my Beautiful Bugs for being so giving and enthusiastic and talented and committed and clever and so bloody creative! My Bugs (and yes, they are 'my' Bugs) inspire me and I am eternally grateful for their presence in my blessed life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment