Tuesday 6 August 2013

Drawing, drawing.... arghhh!

I love creativity. I am still trying to discover a love for drawing. I struggle. Big time. My head says 'Just put the lines on the page'. My hand just doesn't seem to understand. 

I've been told that if I persist, I will get better (I do believe you Kath, I really do) but truth be known, I am not really seeing much progress. 

Now I have come up against my biggest drawing challenge yet. It is self-imposed because I want to create an original print. But to do the print, I need the drawing. Perhaps you're wondering what it is I am trying to draw that has me pulling my hair out. Must be something complicated, right? Wrong. Eight stick figures. That's it. Eight stick figures. And I'm coming up short. Heads are out of proportion. Arms and legs look wrong. Feet, really, what am I to do with the feet? Hands in pockets or behind backs so that I don't even have to think about them. Who would've thought eight stick figures would prove so damn hard.

So I have resorted to drawing them upside-down. What this does is makes the drawing less about the subject and more about the lines and shapes. All of a sudden you are no longer drawing a person, but rather a squiggly line here and a curved line there. I have a way to go, but I'm not going to give up yet. I will draw a good stick figure (in the words of Gargamel) if its the last thing I ever do!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment